Home Storage & Living is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information.
1. Collecting your personal information
1.1 Types of information we collect
The personal information that we collect will depend on your relationship with us and the service you have requested. It may include:
- your identity and contact details including; name, address, email address, phone number, date of birth, gender or other identification details;
- payment information in connection with an order booking or additional products or services purchased through our website or our Contact Centre;
- IP address or MAC address when using our website or mobile applications (and other associated details, including the city associated with your IP or MAC address, the date and time of your visit to our website, pages viewed, the URL of the website that you viewed before our website and the type of browser you use);
- if you use social media, any information that you allow the social media site to share with us;
- your feedback and opinions about our products and services; and
- information relating to your dealings with us, including insights about you so that we can better understand your preferences and interests
Where possible, we will allow you to interact with us anonymously or using a pseudonym. For example, if you contact our Guest Contact Centre with a general enquiry, you may choose not to provide your name unless we need it to adequately handle your enquiry. However, for most of our functions and activities we usually need your name and contact information.
1.3 How we collect personal information
We collect your personal information in a number of ways. We may collect your personal information directly from you or in the course of our dealings with you, for example when you:
- provide personal information to us, for example, when you make or update an order, subscribe to our email or other communications, enter a competition, provide feedback to us or otherwise interact with us;
- visit our website, social media channels or mobile applications;
- apply for a position with us;
- complete a form for us;
- contact our Contact Centre. We record all calls in and out of our Contact Centre and so we will collect any personal information you provide during the call; or
We may also collect personal information about you from other people or organisations. This may include our related entities and:
- a person who makes, changes or enquires about an order on your behalf or who otherwise interacts with us on your behalf (such as a family member, sales agents or your employer or other representative as part of a corporate or group order);
- recruitment agencies and previous employers, if you have applied for a position with us and with your consent;
- our service providers and contractors;
- third parties who conduct market research or run competitions and other promotions on our behalf or for which we are the sponsor;
We may combine and compare personal information that we hold about you with other information collected from, or held by, others. We do this to better understand your interests and preferences, which helps us to enhance your experience. More information about why we do this is provided under ‘Why we collect personal information’.
1.4 Why we collect personal information
We collect your personal information for a variety of purposes and on different legal grounds. Most of the time, we collect your personal information so that we can provide you with our services and any products that you may have requested and to enter into and perform our contract with you.
We collect your personal information to carry out our functions and activities because we have a legitimate business interest in handling your information for these functions and activities. This may include:
- to develop insights about you so that we can better understand your preferences and interests. We do this to identify products, services that may be of interest to you, personalise your experience and enhance the products and services offered by us. In these cases, both we and these third parties have an interest in researching and analysing the services our customers want and personalising our offers so we're better able to provide products and services that are relevant to you. We may also use trusted service providers to undertake the process of creating these insights; and
- to help us continuously improve the services and products we offer and respond to your feedback, queries and complaints.
We also collect your personal information to comply with legal, audit, reporting, record-keeping and investigation requirements and for operational and regulatory compliance purposes.
1.5 Decisions that we make automatically about you
We may make completely automated decisions on certain matters. For example, we (including service providers acting on our behalf, such as those who provide data analysis and business intelligence services) may assess existing or potential customers' interest in us and our and related products/services by logging your interaction with us via our website, our advertisements, the submission of forms or the number of "clicks" that you make on emails that we send you. In certain circumstances, we disclose this information to our trusted partners. The outcome of these activities will help us and our trusted partners to develop insights about you and better understand your preferences and interests. We and our partners may make marketing decisions about you based on these insights.
2 Use and disclosure of your personal information
We will use and disclose your personal information for the purposes described in ‘Why we collect your personal information’.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- to our related entities;
- to our partners, other companies and connected partners about your orders and enquiries;
- to another person if they made an order on your behalf, or are named in your order;
- to the account holder or card holder of the credit card used to pay for your order;
- marketing and advertising services, data analysis, market research and business intelligence services, payment fulfilment and fraud protection services and security services;
- to third parties providing digital or other technology services (including digital assistants that utilise voice, virtual and other technology), where you have authorised the third party to receive information that we hold about you;
- in connection with the investigation of fraud or suspicious activity relating to services provided by us, our related entities, our other partners;
- where permitted or required by law or order of a court/tribunal; and
- to various law enforcement agencies, regulatory authorities and governments in Australia and around the world and their service providers.
If we need to handle your information for any other purpose, we will only do so with your consent or where you may otherwise reasonably expect us to do so.
3 How long do we keep your personal information?
We will keep your personal information for as long as we reasonably require your personal information for any valid and lawful purpose. These purposes include to provide you with our services and any products that you have requested, exercise our rights and perform our obligations under a contract, investigate and defend actual or potential claims, comply with our legal obligations and other purposes permitted by law.
When it is no longer reasonably necessary for us to keep your personal information, your information will be destroyed or put beyond use. However, we may de-identify data and retain such data for statistical purposes only.
4 Overseas disclosures
We are based in Australia, so your personal information will be processed in Australia. However, we may disclose your personal information to organisations or persons located outside of Australia. The countries in which these organisations or persons are located will depend on the circumstances, but in the course of our ordinary operations, we generally disclose personal information to third parties located in the countries where:
- our third-party service providers are located, including, India, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Turkey, The Philippines, United Kingdom and United States of America;
If we disclose personal information to a third party in a country which does not have equivalent privacy laws to your home country, we will take steps to ensure that you are provided with appropriate safeguards in respect of your personal information. This might include entering into contractual clauses with the third party that place obligations on the third party in relation to their handling your personal information.
5. Job applicants
When you apply for a job with us, we will generally collect the personal information that you include in your application, such as your contact details, career history and education details. We may also collect sensitive information from you, for example, medical information or criminal history, if it is relevant to the role that you are applying for, and whether you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, for our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy. We will only collect such sensitive personal information where you have consented to us doing so.
We may also obtain personal information about you from third parties with your consent, for example, from your previous employers or nominated referees. We collect personal information for the purpose of assessing and progressing your application. We will hold your personal information for future job opportunities with us, unless you tell us not to.
We may disclose your personal information to our related entities, your referees and also to third party suppliers that we use to help with our recruitment processes, such as recruitment agencies and organisations that conduct competency or psychometric tests. We may also disclose your personal information to law enforcement agencies to verify whether you have a criminal record.
Cookies are tiny files sent to your browser and stored by your browser on your computer or other device that you're using to access our website or use our mobile applications.
Our cookies collect your IP address or MAC address, the city associated with your IP or MAC address, the date and time of your visit to our website, pages or advertisements viewed, the URL of the website that you viewed before our website and the type of browser you use.
We also use web tracking/analytic tools that generate detailed statistics about traffic to our websites, traffic sources and how you interact with advertisements on our websites and third party websites. These tools can also measure and record conversions and sales.
The cookies and web-tracking tools allow our websites and mobile applications to interact more efficiently with the device you are using and to help us improve the content and functioning of our websites and mobile applications.
7 Our marketing and your personal information
We use personal information that we hold about you to identify services and products that may be of interest to you.
We may contact you by email, text message or other digital service (such as through our applications that you install on your device such as mobile or iPad), phone or post to let you know about specials, offers and promotions.
We also use internet-based marketing including targeted online advertising and online behavioural marketing. We may disclose your personal information to our related entities partners to allow them to tell you about a product or service that may be of interest to you, based on your transactions with us. Our marketing agencies may also contact you using your personal information that they already hold, or we may provide your personal information to them, in order to serve you with more relevant advertising about our services and products.
You can contact us any time if you no longer wish to receive marketing materials from us or our related entities. If you receive a marketing email from us, you can opt-out from that particular category of marketing email by clicking the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email.
8. Storage and security of your personal information
8.1 Our systems
We mostly hold personal information electronically in our IT systems and databases. We also hold personal information in telephone recordings and in hard copy paper files. We use third party service providers to store some personal information.
We take reasonable steps to protect the information that we hold about you from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We do this by having physical and electronic security systems and by limiting who can access your personal information. We also have online and network security systems in place for our websites, so that the information you provide us online is protected and secure. However, because of the nature of the internet, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
Please contact us if you become aware of any breach of security.
9. Rights in respect of your personal information
9.1 General – access to and correction of personal data
You have a right to request access to or correction of your personal information held by us.
If you wish to access, correct or update any personal information that we hold about you, please contact us. We will need to verify your identity before we can process your request.
We will respond to your request within a reasonable time of you making the request and give you access in the manner you requested, unless it is unreasonable or impracticable for us to do so.
Sometimes we will be able to respond to your query over the phone, but sometimes we may need your request in writing and we might need some time to gather the requested information and get back to you. These more complex requests usually take us between 14 and 30 days. We might need to send a copy of the information to you by post or we might ask you to come and see us to have a look at the information.
If we refuse to correct your personal information that we hold, you can ask us to associate with that information a statement that the information is inaccurate, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading.
9.2 Specific rights for EU residents only
If you are located in the European Union, then you may have additional rights. Some of these rights will only apply in very limited circumstances.
- You can withdraw your consent, where we rely on it for processing your personal information, at any time.
- You can ask us to confirm if we are using your personal information.
- You can ask us to delete your personal information. This right only applies in limited circumstances and will not usually apply where it remains necessary for us to process your information for the purposes for which it was collected, we are required by law to retain your information or your information is relevant to a legal dispute.
- You can ask us to stop or restrict how we process your personal information. These rights will apply in limited circumstances and will not usually apply when we need to process your information to carry out our day-to-day business functions or where we have compelling legitimate grounds for processing your information.
- You can ask us to help you move your personal information to other companies, where this is technically possible and only if we have collected and used your data via automatic means. Other conditions apply.
- You have the right to be informed and know about any protections that we have put in place when we are transferring your data overseas.